Take a look at my newly updated website http://PositiveMom.com
I am now posting my blogs on my positive mom website. I hope you will join me there.
Saturday, August 11, 2012
How are you handling the heat? I know it is tough during these last few weeks of summer to maintain sanity as the temperature and the final stretch with the kids can wear on your nerves. Here are a few simple and easy ideas for indoor adventures while you are searching for those ways to beat the heat.
Visit area museums. Most museums have a great children’s area.
Design a scrap book of memories from the summer.
Create a sculpture using junk and recycle items from around the house.
Hang out at a bookstore, let everyone find their favorite book.
Put together a drama, complete with costumes. Video it and send it to family and friends.
Go to the mall and give the kids a few dollars. Have a contest to see who can make their $ go furthest.
Make homemade ice cream.
Search Pinterest to find a recipe to cook together. Make a list of ingredients, shop & bake together.
Have a movie day at home, complete with popcorn, snacks and even tickets and fake money.
Play store, or house, or school.
Develop a puppet show using socks. Decorate with yarn, markers, felt & buttons.
Cut out pictures from magazines, glue them to card board, cut them up and make puzzles.
Skype with grandparents or distant friends or write letters to them.
What are some of your favorite ideas?
Monday, August 6, 2012
How’s the conversation around your dinner table or in the car? In a distracted culture, we sometimes have to be deliberate about building good healthy conversations as a family. Here are a few questions to get you started. I’ve added questions for little ones to the end of the list.
- If you could start a restaurant, what would it be called and what would be on the menu?
- If you could donate a million dollars to the charities of your choice, to what groups or organizations would you give it?
- If you could take one friend and go on a one week (all expenses paid) vacation, where would you go and who would you bring?
- If you were going to make a movie, who would star in it and what would it be about?
- What would be the title of your autobiography and name some of the highlights?
- Where in this world do you want to visit before you die?
- Describe your dream dinner and who you would invite.
- If you could go back in history, what era or time period would you choose and why?
- If you could be one Bible character who would you be?
- If you had to perform one talent on stage in front of an audience, what would it be?
- If you had two days to go away and relax from all responsibilities what would you do?
Questions for Little Ones:
- Who is your favorite Bible Character?
- Where is your favorite place to visit?
- What animal do you like best?
- Which book do you like to read?
- What do you like to draw?
- Which color is your favorite?
- Which room do you like best in our house?
- Where is your favorite place to play?
- Name your favorite toy.
For more tips, check out Karol Ladd’s book A Positive Plan for Creating More Fun, Less Whining.