Monday, December 22, 2008

No Greater Joy

The big day is just a few days away! So how are you feeling? I know for me, little twinges of worry sneak into my thinking as I consider, “Did I buy the right gifts for people?” “What groceries do I still need to get for Christmas dinner?” “Is there anything I’ve forgotten?” Yes, I’m checking my list constantly throughout the day to make sure I don’t miss anything. How about you?

Joy, it seems fleeting at times. If we are going to experience joy we must be deliberate about it, otherwise the busyness of the season will crowd it out. So in these last few days before Christmas, I want to be intentional about turning my eyes toward Him, rejoicing in the simple and pure fact that Jesus left His throne in Heaven and came to earth to offer His life for us. In all of history there is no greater picture of love. Reflecting on this love and knowing it is directed toward us makes a true joy begin to well up inside of us.

Joy comes from the Lord. Joy is a fruit of God’s spirit. As we abide in Him, that fruit becomes evident in our lives as well. When we turn our hearts in gratitude toward the love God has for us, a joy beyond description begins to grow in our lives. In Psalms we read, “Oh, what joy for those whose rebellion is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight! Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of sin, whose lives are lived in complete honesty!”

As Christ’s followers, we can experience that very joy the Psalmist proclaimed. David also said, “Those who look to Him are radiant with joy.” My dear friend, let’s allow God’s love, joy and peace to well up in our hearts to the point of overflowing and blessing those whom He puts in our lives this holiday season. Take a moment to reflect on His love for you and thank Him for it right now. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

No comments: