Monday, January 5, 2009

Seeking the Divine in 2009

Happy New Year! This year I decided to go through a book entitled Praying the Names of God (by Ann Spangler). I use it during my prayer time in the mornings. It is an excellent way to focus on who God is and what the Bible has to say about Him. I recommend it highly.

Today’s reading focused on Elohim which is the ancient name for God expressing His creative power as well as his authority and sovereignty. I was reminded of God’s glorious power in the very beginning and the description of His creative work in Genesis. I am reminded that all of nature is His wondrous work bringing order from chaos. I am also filled with awe in knowing that all people are designed by Him and are a reflection of His image.

How does that effect you? I know for me, I recognize the respect and care I want to show His creation. I want to look at each person as intentionally made by God and a reflection of His image. I recognize the need to truly see people as His gift and sincerely love them as a part of His creative work. Knowing we are fashioned and designed by Him also makes me realize my own value and that God created me for a purpose.

Talk with your kids today about the creation story found in the first chapter of Genesis. Remind them that each person is a treasure designed by God. Ask them how that impacts the way they treat others. Use words like “care,” “love” and “respect.” Then remind your kids that each one of them is a unique creation of God and God has a purpose for their lives. Ultimately our purpose is to glorify God with our lives.

As we seek Him and abide in Him we reflect His love and grace toward others. What a great way to start off the new year – seeking the divine! This year let’s seek to know God better and to love people as a beautiful display of His creative work.

No comments: