Monday, October 19, 2009

Life Lessons Learned By the Sea


This weekend I had the blessing and privilege to be in Destin, Florida with my family. It is absolutely beautiful here! A little cold, but wonderful white sand beaches and an amazing view of the vast ocean make up for that. There are several life principles which come to mind as I look out into the great blue abyss and I want to share them with you today. Three words describe the life lessons learned by the sea: vast, deep, changing.


Vast - The vastness of the ocean makes me think of the abundance of God’s love for us. His unfailing love cannot be measured. He is gracious and kind, abounding in love. His resources are vast. We can come to Him through prayer and our gracious Lord is able to meet our needs. Oh how great the love of the Father! How amazing is his love! How abundant are His blessings!


Deep – When I think about all the life and activity that is going on under the surface of the ocean I am reminded of the depth of God’s justice. Psalm 36 reminds us that “His justice is like the great deep.” Often I can’t understand why the wicked go unpunished or why the Lord allows the evil to prosper, but God is at work. His justice is like the great deep. I cannot begin to know His ways or His workings. And so I trust Him, that He knows what He is doing. I may not be able to see it, but I can trust His faithfulness and His justice.


Changing – Just as the tide ebbs and flows, so the circumstances in our lives are ever changing. We have happy situations and we have loss, we have joy and we have sorrow. This weekend we celebrated our daughter Joy’s engagement to a wonderful young man. Such a great, great blessing! Yet this morning I am in continual prayer for a dear friend of mine who is undergoing major back surgery. The ebb and flow of life. Life brings a variety of joys and sorrow, but God is constant. His love can be trusted.


As we reflect on these principles, let us continually turn our hearts and mind toward God and seek His strength through the changes, trust His justice beyond what we can see and praise Him for His vast love and care for us.

No comments: