Monday, June 11, 2012

Casting Off Cares vs. Cuddling Up With Them






Every evening I turn my worries over to God. 

He’s going to be up all night anyway.

Mary C. Crowley



Cast your cares on the Lord

and he will sustain you;

he will never let the righteous fall.

Psalm 55:22 (NIV)



Several years ago we bought a precious puppy.  She was so cute and huggable that my husband and I agreed to allow her to sleep on our bed with us at night.   I probably should mention that our new lovable pooch is an English Mastiff named Abbey.  Now if you know anything about English Mastiffs, you know that they can grow in size to be 150 – 200 pounds.  Abbey currently weighs in at 165 lbs. 

She started off as a sweet little bed mate, but as she grew so did her annoying tendencies like snoring, hogging the covers and waking us up every time she turns over. It’s not so easy to get her out of the bed anymore.  She jumps up while we are asleep, and when we try to get her off she is dead weight.  It’s a constant “bed battle.”

Worry, on the other hand, is a constant “head battle.”  It may start out as a cuddly little care, but if we allow it to linger, it can grow into full blown worry and despair.  Stay vigilant!  Don’t let cares and worries make their home in your head.  Instead begin the practice of casting your cares on Him because he genuinely cares for you!  It’s not a one time thing but rather a continual habit. Refresh your spirit by applying the following three truths:

1.       Be humble, recognizing your need for God.

2.       Continually give your cares, concerns and worries to him through prayer.

3.       Replace your worry with wonder by filling your mind with scripture and truth.

Calming Thoughts

Scripture Reading:  Psalm 30 Psalm 56:3, 4 

Quiet Meditations: 

What are some of the cares in your life right now which you tend to cuddle?

Are you willing to turn them over to God and leave them there, trusting him as your rock and protection?

Think of a scripture or truth with which you can fill your mind when those worries want to creep back into your head.  Write them below.





Personal Prayer:  Loving Father.  I praise you for your care for me.  Thank you for wanting me to bring my concerns and worries to you.  You are willing and able to handle them, much better than me.  I confess that so often I want to hold on to my own worries rather then giving them over to you.  I humbly recognize my need for you.  I give each area of my life over to you.  Help me to rest in the fact that you are good and can be trusted.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.


No comments: