Monday, October 27, 2008

Cheer my Soul

Psalm 94:14, 17 – 19 (ESV)
For the LORD will not forsake his people; he will not abandon his heritage…
… If the LORD had not been my help, my soul would soon have lived in the land of silence.When I thought, "My foot slips," your steadfast love, O LORD, held me up.When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.

One of the greatest truths we can teach our kids (and grand kids) is that God will not forsake His people. We are not alone in our challenges and battles. God’s presence in the lives of His followers is a constant source of comfort. Even when bad things happen, we can be reassured of His comfort and care. Instead of fretting we can look to the Lord as our help. Let’s live out this principle of trust in our own lives, so our kids will learn by our example. Circumstances may not cheer our soul, but as the psalmist said, “Your consolations cheer my soul.” In other words God’s comfort (which only He can give) brings joy and delight to our inner being.

Do our kids see a mom or grand mom who trusts God for help? Or do our kids see a woman who frets and worries and complains. Put your hope in God and His help and comfort in your life. This hope, this comfort is what separates us from those who do not believe. May the world see an inner peace and joy in our lives because we can say with the psalmist, “When I thought, ‘My foot slips,’ your steadfast love, O LORD, held me up. When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.” My friend in Christ, God is with you and will never leave you. Look to Him.

No comments: