Thursday, February 19, 2009

Blog from the Boat

It’s Thursday and I’m just now able to post my blog. Why, you may be wondering. Well (I know you are going to feel sorry for me now) we have been floating in a boat in the Caribbean. Yes, Curt and I were blessed to be able to go on a cruise in the middle of February with the company he represents. It is a lovely excursion, and we have visited several beautiful ports of call. I won’t go into all the details as I don’t want to embitter those of you living in the northern and very cold parts of he US right now.

All I will say is that I am amazed at the beauty and vastness of the open sea, and I am in awe of God’s great creation. In these last few days I have often reflected on Psalm 36:5 - 9,
Your love O Lord, reaches to the Heavens;
Your faithfulness to the skies.
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains;
Your justice like the great deep.
O Lord you preserve both man and beast;
How priceless is your unfailing love.
Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of Your wings.
They feast from the abundance of your house.
You give them drink from Your river of delights.
For with you is the fountain of life.
In your light, we see light.

Take some time to read this passage aloud and ponder God’s great love for you. Read it to your kids to help them begin to understand the vastness of God’s love and the beautiful provisions He gives us. The phrase which came to life for me as I snorkeled at Grand Cayman Island (oh yeah I wasn’t going to mention the amazing ports of call – sorry) is the passage which states that God’s justice is like the great deep. As I poked my goggles into the water and viewed the vast amount of life under the ocean’s surface, I realized that in the similar fashion, God is working out justice in ways I can’t see.

Although I may be hurt by someone else’s unkindness, gossip or hurtfulness, I can hold on to the fact that vengeance is God’s. It is not my job to hold an offence over someone or try to get them back. That’s God’s job and His justice is working in ways I can’t even imagine. Just like the incredible ocean-life thriving under the surface at all times, so we can trust God’s justice to be playing out in just the way He knows is best. Psalms 34 reminds us, “Evil will slay the wicked. The foes of the righteous will be condemned. The Lord redeems His servants. No one will be condemned who puts their trust in Him.”

My friend, are you willing to trust God’s justice? His justice is like the great deep – He is at work in ways we can not see or even imagine. Trust His love and believe in the justice only He can work out. Rest in it and allow the truth of His wisdom and justice to buoy you up today.

No comments: