Monday, May 18, 2009

True Comfort in an Uncomfortable World

When you think about comfort, what comes to mind? A comfy couch, a bowl of ice cream, a warm bath or maybe a healing word of encouragement from a friend? God talks quite a bit about comfort in the Bible. God provides comfort to His people through His presence. In fact the Holy Spirit is referred to as the comforter. In John 14:26 – 27 we read Jesus’ words, ”The Counselor [Comforter, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby – Amplified Bible], the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

Commentator Matthew Henry said, “The peace God gives is of such a nature that the smiles of the world cannot give it, nor the frowns of the world take it away.”We are not promised a comfortable life, but we are promised God’s comfort. When we are going through difficulties, God brings comfort in the knowledge of His presence, and He also brings us comfort from the strength of His Word and the help and encouragement of other people. Most importantly comfort comes in the hope of Heaven.

Receive God’s comfort in your struggles. Don’t push it away. God invites us to come to Him. He offers His Spirit to be our strengthener, our helper, our counselor. Those who believe in Him have the comfort of knowing He loves us and works all things together for the good. God may send people into your life to lift your spirits, or He may send you to others to lift theirs. We find comfort in both.

Read the following verses about comfort to your kids and remind them that God gives His Comforter in the form of His Spirit to His people.


Matthew 11:28
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Psalm 94:19
19 When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.

Isaiah 40:1
1 “Comfort, comfort my people,” says your God.

Matthew 5:4
4Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

Psalm 23:4
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

John 16:33
33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

No comments: