Monday, September 28, 2009

Running in the Right Direction

Several weeks ago my daughter and I made a decision to train for a local 5K (3.1 mile)race together. It sounded good at the time we talked about it, but then when I put on my running shoes and started hitting the pavement, I realized how out of shape I was for running. I used to be a big runner – 20 something years ago. Well I’m not quite in the shape I was back in college!
The first day I went for a run, I do believe every muscle in my legs ached all day long. But I was determined to get back in the swing of things, so I could join my daughter for the race and not embarrass myself in the process. Every day, bit by bit I got out there and went a little further each day, even when it was painful.

The Bible reminds us of a few things we need to run toward and a few things we need to run away from in our lives. David said, “I have chosen to be faithful; I have determined to live by your laws. I cling to your decrees. Lord, don’t’ let me be put to shame! If you will help me, I will run to follow your commands. “(Psalm 119:30 – 32) What a beautiful picture of where we should run – to God’s commands!
Isaiah described those who have turned away from God by saying, “Their feet run to do evil.” (Isaiah 59:7)

What kind of runner are you? I’m not talking about physically, but I’m talking about spiritually. Do you run toward God’s loving arms and toward His commands? Or do your run away from Him, living as you want to live, running toward evil? We have a choice as to which direction we will go.

I like how David said, “If you will help me, I will run and follow your commands.” So if you are feeling weak and unable to run toward Him, or if you feel like you don’t know how, ask for his help and then Just Do It! One step at a time you will begin to run with strength and confidence in His direction.

Moms, take your kids on a short little run in your neighborhood. Come on, give it a try, you can do it! When you come to a crossroad or fork in the road, stop and talk with the kids about the choice you have in which way you will go. Then tell them that in the same way the Bible talks about where we can run. We have the choice to run toward God’s commands or we can run toward evil. One choice brings life, the other destruction.
Remember, run to God for help, strength, wisdom and comfort. Run to help others in need. Run away from sin, bitterness and self-centeredness.

No comments: