Monday, November 2, 2009

Thankless Job - Thankful People

As a mom you may feel as though you have a pretty thankless job at times. Caring for others needs and getting whining in return. Cooking dinner and receiving grumbles and complaints. Shopping for groceries and yet getting repaid with screams or temper tantrums. Typically there’s not a thank you in the mix. It’s tough being a mom, and I for one want to tell you thank you for investing in the next generation. Your job is a highly valuable role and you are a hero. I’m thankful for what you do day in and day out. Keep up the great work.

In a small way we can imagine how God must feel when His people go day in day out and fail to thank Him for His care and blessings through the day. Out of His kindness and love He cares for us and blesses us each day. He answers prayers, He meets our needs, He comforts us, He strengthens us, and He forgives us even when we don’t deserve it. Yet how often do we take the time to sincerely thank Him? It’s interesting how we may be busy doing all sorts of good things for Him, but one thing He desires more than our sacrifice is our gratitude.

Listen to what He says in Psalm 50:7-15
7 “O my people, listen as I speak. Here are my charges against you, O Israel: I am God, your God! 8 I have no complaint about your sacrifices or the burnt offerings you constantly offer. 9 But I do not need the bulls from your barns or the goats from your pens. 10 For all the animals of the forest are mine, and I own the cattle on a thousand hills. 11 I know every bird on the mountains, and all the animals of the field are mine. 12 If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for all the world is mine and everything in it. 13 Do I eat the meat of bulls? Do I drink the blood of goats? 14 Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and keep the vows you made to the Most High. 15 Then call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory.”And later in verse 23 He says again, “Giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me.”

Why is thankfulness so important? Gratitude keeps us humble as we continue to recognize all we have is from Him. Gratitude makes us more joyful as we focus on the good things in our lives. Most importantly gratitude builds a deeper love relationship between us and God. It points our eyes toward Him and helps us reflect on His presence with us and care for us.

May I encourage you each day in the month of November to spend some quiet time alone with the Lord, and as you do begin by praising God for who he is and thanking him for what he has done in your life. I like to keep a prayer journal and write down my requests to the Lord each day, but before I write any requests, I take time to write out my thanks to God for how he took care of me the day before. Let’s honor God this month by allowing our daily prayers to be filled with gratitude for our loving God.

Each night as you say prayers with the kids, encourage them to thank the Lord for His care during the day. Let’s encourage our little ones to be great in the area of gratitude!

No comments: