Monday, January 25, 2010

Shaken, but Not Stirred

This year we watched in horror as a physical earthquake ravaged Haiti. Our support and prayers continue for these precious people. Perhaps you have experienced a personal earthquake of your own where your world has been shaken. It may have been a cancer diagnosis or an unexpected divorce or a wayward child. Although we would love for our lives to fall into the category of calm, peaceful and safe, the reality is life circumstances are constantly shifting. We have no guarantee that our situation will remain rock solid.

Our world may be shaken, but God is not. He is our rock and we can find rest and hope in Him. He can give us the strength and wisdom we need to make it through the earthquakes of life. Consider what the Psalmist proclaimed in Psalm 62:5-8:
5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God ;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.
If your dreams are shattered and your world has been rocked in some way, I want to encourage you to pour out your heart to Him. Trust His providence, love and care. James reminds us that God does not change like shifting shadows. When life falls apart, we do not have to fall apart with it. Our situation may be shaken, but we don’t have to stirred. Even when you can’t see Him or feel Him, trust that He is there. David said:
4 Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.

Do not despair. Do not lose hope. God loves you and will care for you no matter what your earthquake looks like. When my world is rocked, try to dwell on three important truths:

R – Remember you are not alone. God is with you. Also, recognize that there are others who have gone through similar trials and have made it through. Allow others to help and encourage you.

O – Opt out of despair. Although it is easy to let your mind go from worry to anxiety to despair, don’t allow your mind to go in that direction. Grieve yes, but keep your eyes on the hope that God can bring. He is a redeeming God and can bring opportunity to any situation.

C & K – Compassion and Kindness. As you work through your challenges, look for ways you can help others in similar struggles. Reach out to others in compassion and kindness and as you do you will begin to experience the strength and joy that comes from lifting up others.

It is important for us to teach our kids to look to God for strength and hope in the midst of shaky circumstances. Read Psalm 62:5 -8 and Psalm 23 to your children and encourage them with a message of hope. Go through the ROCK truths I shared here and help them to understand that every challenge is an opportunity to trust God.

No comments: