Monday, October 15, 2007

Comfort Zone

How comfortable do you feel in you job of being a mom? For me personally, I don’t think I have ever felt completely comfortable. I’m always being stretched, learning patience and finding better ways to handle the multitude of situations that arise on a daily basis. If we ever did grow comfortable as a mom it may mean that we have stopped growing and learning. If it were possible to get to the point where we think we know it all and have this “mother thing” figured out, we may grow to be prideful or lazy. Discomfort has its advantages. Not only can we grow and develop as a mom when we are uncomfortable, but we also are driven to look to God for our strength and help. The apostle Paul struggled with a thorn in his flesh. The Bible doesn’t tell us what that thorn was, but I suppose we could call this a discomfort of some sort. He asked God to remove the thorn three times. Here’s how God responded, “My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness.” Paul went on to say, “So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me. Since I know it is all for Christ’s good. I am quite content with my weaknesses…for when I am weak, then I am strong.” What implication does this have for us as moms? We all feel weak at times in our daily job. We may feel weak physically and emotionally. We may feel as though we lack wisdom and the ability to use wise discipline. Remember God is able to be your strength in your weakness. Look to Him in the midst of your discomfort and ask Him for His Help.

Oh wise and loving Father, thank you for the discomforts you allow in our lives as moms. We don’t have all that it takes to be the mom we want to be, but you are sufficient. You offer us your strength and help. We look to you and we glory in you. Thank you that we are not comfortable, for if we were we may forget you and become prideful and lazy. Our daily struggles remind us of our need for you. Thank you Lord for always being there. I call on you to help me today. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Conversation Starter: Where do you feel uncomfortable in your life right now? Talk with you kids about the importance of taking not just our needs, but our weaknesses to God, asking Him to be their strength.

No comments: