Monday, October 1, 2007

Love is Patient

Today I heard an inspiring message from the authors of a powerful new book entitled Same Kind of Different as Me. If you haven't yet read it, I would encourage you to pick it up at your local bookstore. The book is true story of two men's journeys and how their lives came together through God's providence. I won't tell you more because you must read it for yourself! One of the authors, Denver Moore (a former homeless man), shared a tremendous bit of wisdom which we all need to hear, "Love people for who they are, not for who you want them to be."

We must see the treasure in each person. We must lift them up through our love played out in our words and actions. Our friends and family members will rise to greater heights if we love them as they are and not as what we are trying to make them become. The Bible tells us that "Love is Patient." Don't you want people to be patient with you? I know I do! Aren't you thankful God is patient with us? I know I am continually thankful for His enduring and patient love! So let us offer that patience to others. As we love them completely and encourage them sincerely we will see them rise to a new level of confidence. My heart's desire is for each of us to seek his power to love those around us each day. I'm not very patient in my own strength, but God is my strength. He can give me what I need to love those around me.
Keep shining His Patient Love on others.

Family Tip: Create some one on one time with each of your family members this week. Look them in the eyes and really listen to what they have to say. Ask them questions about their day and find out what made them happy or sad. Care about their life and speak words of love to them, re-assuring them you love them as they are.

Conversation Starter: What makes you feel most sincerely loved? How does it help you to know that God loves you with an abundant, patient and forgiving love?

No comments: