Monday, November 19, 2007

Every Day is Thanksgiving

This morning I spent a good portion of the morning going over my lists in preparation for Thanksgiving. There’s the list of menu items for the big day, then a list of groceries and a list of meals for the rest of the week while the family is in town. Phew! There’s a lot of food to think about in this next week. But it saddens my heart that I spend so much time worrying about the food, when I wish I spent more time reflecting on the areas of life for which I am grateful. Not don’t get me wrong, I do recognize the importance of preparing memorable meals and the fellowship which takes place over those meals. I just don’t want to overlook the beauty of Thanksgiving. Truly I am grateful for much. I am grateful for the people in my life; my family and friends. I am grateful for the people the Lord allows me to encounter each day. I am grateful for my work and the opportunities God brings into my life to serve and to grow. Most importantly I am thankful for something that can never be taken away from me and that is the fact that Christ died for me. I am grateful that through faith He allows us to be a part of His family. I am thankful He has given us His Spirit to live inside of us and help us walk in His ways. For the last several years I’ve begun taking time each morning to thank God for these very things. Honestly a smile comes to my face every time I reflect on the goodness of the Lord and all He has done for us. It is a great way to start off everyday. As I write this to blog, I have grown to recognize that every day is Thanksgiving Day if we allow it to be. Let’s each commit to starting each day thanking the Lord for all He has done and will do in our lives. Yes the food is important, but what’s even more important is to have a grateful spirit not just on this Thursday, but all year long.

Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.

Family Conversation Starter: How have you seen God work in your life this week? Have you thanked Him for it?

Family Fun: Allow your kids to choose one of their favorite recipes for Thanksgiving and bring them into the process of helping you prepare or cook. Even little ones can pour or stir. Encourage the kids to help in setting the table. Place five kernels of corn at every place setting as a reminder of the first Thanksgiving where they placed several kernels of corn to never forget the previous winter’s rations and how God brought them through the difficult times.

No comments: