Monday, November 5, 2007

Serendipity

Don’t you love it when God surprises you and shows his power in unexpected places? This past weekend we vacationed in Destin, Florida for a refreshing and relaxing get-away. As my husband and I sat around the hotel hot tub, two people approached the tub and asked if they could join us. “Sure!” was our response. We always love chatting with other friendly travelers. This precious pair was actually a man with his adult daughter. As my husband chatted with the dad, I talked with the young lady. I soon found out that her mother (his wife) had just passed away less than two months ago from cancer and they were still working through the grief. I shared my heart felt sympathy as I too knew the pain of losing my mother at an early age. As we visited about her life I discovered she was a committed believer, a former English teacher and an avid writer. She hoped to be published one day but didn’t have an idea about how to proceed. It immediately became evident God had placed us together at the hot tub that day so I could share with her the initial steps to getting an article or book published. It was a sign of hope for her and a touch of God’s beautiful loving hand on her life. It was a thrill and blessing to be a small part of what God is doing in her life. I look forward to keeping up with her and seeing the fruit of what was planted through our conversation. There is great joy in being a part of God’s work and being a blessing to others. Let’s continue to seek His direction and be open to the opportunities and surprises He brings along our path.

Family Conversation Starter: The word “serendipity” means unexpected pleasure. When is the last time you experienced a serendipity in your life?

Family Fun: As we enter the month of November, I think about celebrating Thanksgiving and reflecting on the blessings God has brought into our lives. Create a Thanksgiving Poster by decorating an orange poster board with colorful leaves. Write at the top of the board, “Give thanks to the Lord for He is Good. His love endures forever.” Ask family members write what they are thankful for on the board throughout the month.

No comments: