Monday, January 7, 2008

Be Still with God

Yesterday I picked up a book entitled, Be Still, 31 Days to a Deeper Meditative Prayer Life. It not only encourages the reader to step out of the busy pace of life, it also introduces a beautiful, centuries old, form of contemplative prayer called Lectio Divina (Latin for “divine” or “sacred” reading). As I read the introduction I was personally inspired to begin the 31 day journey to a deeper prayer life as laid out in the book. My prayer life always needs to grow and become more vibrant, and I bet you could say the same about yours. We never want to become stagnant or remain routine in the way we fellowship with the Lord. We must be intentional about being still with him against the backdrop of our run around, fill-my-calendar type of schedules. As moms, we need a time of quiet meeting with our Heavenly Father, to draw close to Him and recognize His sovereignty and power. Our joy is renewed as we spend time thanking God, and our anxieties are put to rest as we cast our cares on Him. So my friend, will you join me in making new steps in your prayer life this year? Let’s commit together to spend a quiet time alone with Him each day. I’m planning to start the actually Be Still book journey on February 6, Ash Wednesday, as I thought that may be a wonderful way to experience an even more meaningful Lent season. If you want to join me (you have exactly a month to go out and get the book) we can walk through this together and visit about our co-journey of prayer and growth. But don’t wait until Feb 6 to begin a time of stillness with God; begin today. May this be a year of prayer, a year of stillness and a year of contemplation for us all. Psalm 46:10 reminds us, “Be still and know that I am God.”

Family Fun: Purchase a simple spiral notebook and decorate the front using glue and construction paper or fabric. Make this your family prayer journal. Share requests together as a family, write them down in the journal and pray for one another. Don’t forget to record the answers to prayer as well. Encourage every member of your family to spend time alone with God in prayer.

No comments: