Monday, September 27, 2010

Grumbling vs. Gratitude

“Gratitude takes three forms: a feeling in the heart, an expression in words, and a giving in return.” John Wanamaker

Numbers 14:26 – 30
Then the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, How long will this wicked nation complain about me? I have heard everything the Israelites have been saying. Now tell them this: As surely as I live, I will do to you the very things I heard you say. I, the Lord, have spoken! You will all die here in this wilderness! Because you complained against me, none of you who are twenty years old or older and were counted in the census will enter the land I swore to give you. The only exceptions will be Caleb… and Joshua.

Mom’s Reflection:
Complain, complain, complain. It became a habit for the Israelites in the wilderness. God provided food and water for them daily. He gave them victory against their enemies and a miraculous delivery from slavery in Egypt. The Bible even says their shoes did not wear out! Yet they doubted God’s goodness and choose to complain. As you can see by the passage, God wasn’t too pleased with their lack of trust. Only Joshua and Caleb had faith in God’s provision for the Promised Land.
It’s easy to complain about people or circumstances. Have you ever viewed your complaining and whining as a lack of trust in God’s provision? How would your life be different right now if you changed your grumbling into gratitude for God? Take a moment to thank Him for what He has done and will do. Granted, life in the wilderness wasn’t Pleasure Island, but it wasn’t slavery in Egypt either. Your life may not be the dream you always planned in your mind, but God is with you and will provide for you. Let’s keep our eyes on Him instead of our circumstances.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, you are my Provider. Thank you for taking care of my needs. Thank you for always being with me and never leaving me. I’m sorry for the times I have complained and not focused on your goodness and mercy for me. Help me to replace my complaining with thanksgiving for your blessings. Turn my eyes off my problems and on to you. In Jesus Name, Amen.

My Choices:
This week I will choose to take my eyes off of what is wrong in my life and look at what is right.
This week I will choose to replace my grumbling with gratitude.
This week I will choose to encourage my kids to see God’s blessings all around us.

This devotional is an excerpt from The Power of a Positive Mom Devotional by Karol Ladd

No comments: